Tuesday, October 23, 2012

My CORRECTED Post On How I Set-up my Microaquarium.... ( The original post did not contain internal citations)


How did I set up my microaquarium? With help lol.

First I added my water sample to the glass microaquarium provided. The glass microaquarium has a glass tank, a stand holder, and a lid(Cook and McFarland). The water sample was placed in the glass tank part. My water sample came from site #3. Site #3 is Carter Mill Park at spring source, Carter Mill Road, Knox Co. Tennessee. It is in partial shade exposure. The coordinates are N36 01.168 W83 42.832 940 ft. It was collected October 10, 2011(McFarland). Using a pipet, I extracted sediment from the bottom of the container containing the water sample, and put it inside my glass container first, filling it one third ways full. Second I extracted water from the sample from about mid-depth, and placed it in my microaquarium, filling it two third ways full. After that I extracted surface water from the sample and added it to the microaquarium, filling the microaquarium almost full. After that I added pieces of two different aquatic plants to my micro aquarium (Cook and McFarland). The first plant was Amblestegium sp. Moss. It was collected at the same site as the water sample(McFarland). The second plant was Utricularia gibba L. It is a flowering, carnivous plant. The Original material is from south shore of Spain Lake (N 35o55 12.35" W088o20' 47.00), Camp Bella Air Rd. East of Sparta Tn. in White Co. and grown in water tanks outside of greenhouse at Hesler Biology Building. The University of Tennessee. Knox Co. Knoxville TN(McFarland). Now my micro aquarium is set-up!

I placed the lid on the glass microaquarium tank, and observed its contents under the microscope. I was looking for moving organisms. After about thirty minutes of observation, with help, I finally found a strand of pond scum. A little while later a Paramecium was found.

No comments:

Post a Comment