Thursday, November 15, 2012

Final Observation

November 15, 2012

Last week a food pellet was inserted into my microaquarium, and this week I got to see it's effect.

Amount of Life vs. Diversity of Life : Results of the food pellet and of the microaquarium over time.

From last week to this week the amount of life increased greatly, but not nessecarly the diversity in life. But not that the diversity did not increase at all, I did find a few more additions that I had not seen before.

(Forest 1954)
 Another type of Green Algea I found hanging around. He moved kind of slow and squiggly like. He is multicellular. He is a Chlorophyll green, and I only saw a couple like him. They were spread throughout the glass.
(Patterson 2003)
 I found multiple little swarms of these Paramecium throughout the glass. This particular swarm was near the top and horizontally in the middle. They swim and run around in every which direction.They are single celled Protista and there were planty of them throughout the glass.
(Patterson 2003)
 This is the top veiw of a Stentor. I found two of these in my glass. It is funnel shaped and has cilia that causes the water and particles around it to swirl.He is unicellular.
(Smith 2001)
I only found one of him. He was kicking around in some sediment on the right bottom of the glass. He is a good size and he is multicellular.

Along with these new additions, I observed some organisms already pictured and identitfied before, but they were in much greater quantity and, in the case of the cyclops, they were bigger in size.
There were lots of tiny, unidentifed organisms swimming about also. There were about a dozen fairly large sized cyclops, three immature cyclops, and three dead ones.Oddly enough, most of them were in the left side of the glass. There were plent of rotifers throughout, I counted about twenty five before I gave up. I counted about twenty vorticellas throughout, but they were always in small groups. For the first time, I saw about half a dozen of them swimming around, not anchored to anything(pictured below).
There was planty of green algea out and about, including the big blob mentioned last week. It has become a busy neighborhood. There was also more of it throughout the glass.
Along with these lovely critters, there were about a half dozen seed shrimp (copadods) running around.

Well my microaquarium has certainly been an adventure! Isn't it pretty? I am going to miss it.

 I will post the final organisms totals later in a different post.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment