Monday, November 5, 2012

Week 2 Observations

My microaquarium was observed on November 1, 2012

On Friday October 26, 2012 ONE Beta Food Pellet was inserted into the microaquarium.


 FOOD PELLET INFORMATION:"Atison's Betta Food" made by Ocean Nutrition, Aqua Pet Americas, 3528 West 500 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84104. Ingredients: Fish meal, wheat flower, soy meal, krill meal, minerals, vitamins and preservatives. Analysis: Crude Protein 36%; Crude fat 4.5%; Crude Fiber 3.5%; Moisture 8% and Ash 15%.(McFarland)

Last thursday ( Oct. 25) after I observed my microaquarium, I was instructed to add more water to it from a wash bottle in the lab. I misinterpreted which washbottle to use and used the wrong one. I possibly refilled my microaquarium with 70% ethenal.Eventual, everything in my micro aquarium died, including my plants.



(Presscott 1964)





So obviously, a new microaquarium had to be made. It has the same type of plants as previously, and the water is from University of Tennessee Hesler Biology Building's greenhouses. After the new microaquarium was made, it was observed. Here are the observations.

(Patterson 2003)
This little guy above was wiggley and tiny, making it hard to get a good look at him.I saw a few like him and he appears single-celled.
(Smith 2001)
The Cyclops shown here is mobile, but not constantly, kind of like people. He is multicellular and in abundance in my microaquarium.
(Smith 2001)

( Patterson 2003)
This guy above is similar to the Vorticella mentioned earlyer. The only difference the eye can see is its shape and the way it is anchored. He is still unicellular. There is a scattered handful throughout the glass.
 (Smith 2001)
I have only seen one of these. He moves slowly and like a ribbon in the wind. He is multicellular.

(Smith 2001)
Only observed on gastrotrichia too. He is multicellular and pretty neat looking. He is activly moving but slow enough to get a good look at.
(Forest 1954)
I didn't zoom in enough to get a good look at them.


I think this mite was dead.

(Patterson 2003)
This is the first one of these nemotods that I have seen that didn't squiggle like he was on fire. Most of the time when I would find one he would be moving so fast that the photo was just a blur. But this one seemed to be taking it easy.
(Smith 2001)
Also known as a Seed Shrimp, he is relitivly large and runs all over the place. He is multicellular and also has a hard shell.
(Presscott 1964)
This thing barely moved. He is kinda boring.
(Patterson 2003)
Now the rotifers were plentious and on the move! Found some throughout the glass.
(Patterson 2003)

(Patterson 2003)
 
(Patterson 2003)
 
So this microaquarium had alot more life to it. There was more variety as well as quantity .
There were plenty of little tiny unidentifiable organisms as well as a couple of rodifers, about a half dozen epistlelis,a flatworm, a couple of nematodes, about a half dozen colpoda, as well as the organisms pictured above.
 

1 comment: